Thousands attend Open Day 2015
April 22, 2015
This year's Air Rescue and Emergency Services Open Day attracted Cantabrians in their thousands who turned up at the Garden City Helicopters base on the weekend.
Good weather, the end of the school holidays and massive support from the attending Emergency Services all contributed to making the event one of our biggest ever, with record crowds attending.
The absence of the actual Westpac Rescue Helicopter - due to multiple mission responses through the day, was a timely reminder as to why we hold the Open Day each year. Our air rescue services, as well as every one of the emergency teams in attendance, perform a VITAL community service - each one responsible in their own way for saving lives in our community.
Emergency services attending the Open Day this year were:
- Westpac Rescue Helicopter
- Red Cross Response Unit
- St John Ambulance
- St John Major Case Incident Unit
- DOC High Country Fire Unit
- NZ Fire Service Safety Trailer
- NZ Fire Service Command Unit
- Airport Fire Service Vehicle
- NZDF Explosives Ordnance Disposal (Bomb Robot)
- NZ Fire Service Jaws of Life Demonstration
- Alpine Cliff Rescue
- Special guest demonstration by the New Zealand Police Special Tactics Group and Dog team
Thanks to all the groups who attended and for putting in the extra effort to make sure the crowds enjoyed themselves.
Also, a huge thank you to all the sponsors, supporters and volunteers who made our Open Day such a success including Westpac, Hirepool, Garden City Helicopters, Christchurch Airport, Yellow Pencil, More FM, Watties, Photo Booth Fun, Mitre 10 Mega Ferrymead, Bean Bags and Beyond and Raeward Fresh Harewood.